Lessons Learned

Well it has been a while since I last posted here, which is the first lesson I have learned – if I want to keep up with this blog, I definitely need to put in the effort. Hopefully I will take this lesson to heart and make that happen.

In other news, I’ve learned that posting long plans, like for the quilt, in parts may not be the best way to go about it. I’ve nearly finished with the quilt, and once I have, I will be posting all of the information in one, probably long, post. Hopefully that will be able to be posted by the end of the week.  I’ve got to say, the quilt turned out to be harder than I expected. This is mostly because I’ve only worked with the 2.5oz insulation. The 5oz is thicker and a bit more difficult to work with, but I have found some tricks that can help out a bit.

Making gear is a hobby I love, but I am very sporadic about it. The joy is taking on new tasks and coming up with new solutions, and so I get distracted by several projects at the same time.

One project is making modifications to the Kringle pack that I made back in May. In testing, I was having troubles with the foam pad I use slowing sliding up, getting pushed up by my quilt at the bottom. In hopes of solving this and having a bit more solid closure on the pack and max volume, I devised a new closure system. It is a Y-strap closure using zing-it line, a lineloc and a cordlock as a button. It is completely removable, so if it isn’t working as I hope, I will be able to rework it later. With the added system, the pack gained .4 oz and now levels off at 4.6 oz.

I’ve already got thoughts for new packs, using some xpac type fabric. One small, very modular pack to replace this one which may rip from hard use, and one large one with a frame for a winter thru-hike of the AT. But first, back to working on my quilt.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Lessons Learned

    1. To be completely honest, I can’t remember what I was planning right at this moment. Maybe something along the lines of a HMG Porter, except keeping the volume smaller. The idea being that during early summer I often need very little space in my pack and don’t even need pockets on my pack often. As the it gets cooler in the fall, I still like to travel SUL, but need just a bit more volume to carry some insulation and water (water sources tend to dry about towards the end of summer). So I’ve always liked the idea of having the ability to add and remove pockets. Another solution could be a well designed dry bag hauler. I’ll have to try to remember what I was thinking, or at least come up with a new idea. It could be a fun project.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s